Office of the Director General
Prof. Dr. Edward Lama Wonkeryor is Director General of the National Commission on Higher Education, Republic of Liberia since August 30, 2021. Prior to his appointment as Director General, Professor Dr. served as President of the Nimba County Community College (now Nimba University) from July 9, 2018 to August 30, 2021. Professor Wonkeryor is currently Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the PYJ Polytechnic University.
Dr. Wonkeryor served as President of William V. S. Tubman University from July 1, 2016 to March 5, 2018. He also served as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Professor of Mass Communication, Liberian and Africana Studies (2013-2016) at Cuttington University, Liberia. In this position, he served as the Chief Academic Officer of the university, responsible for academic related affairs and leadership in the university. As the Chief Operating Officer of the university, he was responsible for the operations of the university and served on the President’s Executive Council with the senior leadership. He also promoted academic excellence throughout the university. He pursued global education opportunities on behalf of faculty and students.
Prior to joining Cuttington University, Dr. Wonkeryor worked as Assistant Professor in the African American Studies Department of Temple University where he focused on African Studies, African American Studies, and Mass Communication from 2003 to 2013. Specifically, he taught courses in African studies, African American studies, and mass communication, and mentored Master’s and Ph.D. students.
Dr. Wonkeryor has authored more than 10 books, book chapters, occasional papers, encyclopedia entries, and many peer-reviewed articles on the African military, ethnicity, political communication, broadcasting, development and evolving democracy in Africa, resistance activities of Africans on the continent and in the United States. His research interests are African political history, peace and conflict resolution, military studies, democratic governance, security and globalization, 19th and 20th century African and African American history, mass communication, and race and ethnic relations. His recent publications are Globalization and Its Implications for Africa (2016), Dimensions of Racism in Advertising: From Slavery to the Twenty-First Century (2015), and African Immigrants in a Diverse United States (2013).
Dr. Wonkeryor worked with the Liberian Broadcasting System LBS as Radio Manager and with the Liberia Petroleum Refining Company as Public Relations Officer in the 1980s.
Professor Wonkeryor has a Ph.D. in African and American Studies from Temple University (1995), an M.M.C. (Master of Mass Communication) from the University of South Carolina (1980), and a B.A. in Communications from Rowan University (1978). He has presented papers at national and international conferences, including the Oxford Round Table Forum, Oxford University.
In keeping with the 1989 Act creating the Commission of Higher Education, the Director General is the head of the Secretariat and he/she reports directly to the Commissioners, through its Chair, the Minister of Education.
- Formulates policy guidelines concerning the supervision and coordination of all tertiary institutions in Liberia,
- Designs collaborative mechanism for financial management with donors,
- Mobilizes technical human, financial and material resources nationally and internationally in support of higher education,
- Advises the Commission on policy and other statutory matters,
- Ensures that action is taken on financial and other resources matters including internal audit to enhance accountability and represents NCHE in external activities and functions or may designate any senior staff,
- Supervises and administers the affairs of the Secretariat,
- Is a signatory to license or permit issued to accredit HEIs, having followed due process of accreditation, and
- Advocates for capacity building programs for staffs of the commission and reports to Board of Commissioners through it chair person.